We view parent and carer involvement as an essential part of the educational process. We treat parents and carers as equal partners, working together to meet their son or daughters’ individual needs. We operate an ‘open door’ and ‘open phone’ policy where parents and carers are welcome into school at any time and members of staff are always available to talk to them.
As a school we recognise our task in supporting families in their task of nurturing their child to reach their potential. A home/school agreement sets out how we will work with families and our expectations of how we would like parents and carers to work with school.
We offer a wide range of opportunities for parents/carers to be involved in the educational process and in the wider life of the school. These include:
- Termly class newsletter- to keep parents and carers informed of the curriculum and school events their child is involved in.
- Parent and carers evenings – are held twice a year, providing an opportunity to discuss and view the years’ work and any other aspects of school life.
- Family week – a series of open mornings and events where family members can visit school to see what we have on offer and see the school in action.
- Home school diary – all pupils have a home/school diary in which staff communicate with parents and carers the events of the day in relation to their child. Parents and carers can also use the diary to communicate with class leaders.
- Telephone contact – class leaders are happy to speak to parents by telephone. Class leaders are usually available before 9.00 a.m. and after 3.15 p.m.
- Celebration events – Family members are invited to attend our special assemblies and celebration events such as the leavers’ graduation.
Being a parent can be challenging and demanding. There are times when parents need additional support and guidance.
We offer support and can signpost families to other services including supporting the process of applying for direct payments or applying for short breaks. Parents/carers of children based at Boston Spa Learning and Woodhouse Learning should contact Katie Hurley on 01937 844772 .